Thursday, November 8, 2012

Who Am I?

I Am Who I Am

     Who am I? I am a seventeen-year-old with goals set beyond high. I plan on attending the University of Nebraska at Omaha. I will double major in Biology and Spanish.  I, then, plan on going on to chiropractic school at Palmer in Davenport, Iowa. I am currently a high school senior at Aurora High.  I know some people think that I'm not being realistic with double majoring, but I have a Hispanic background therefore, I feel that I owe it to my family to want to know more about my grandmother's home country.
    I'll give you a basic low down on who I really am. I have one sister named Abigail Marie Collingham.  She is, in so many ways, my best friend.  We tell each other everything.  We fight like all sisters do but I know, know matter what that she'll always be there for me, and I'll always be there for her, through thick and thin.  I know she is really going to struggle next year without me.  I'll miss her like crazy for sure!  My parents are divorced.  They really don't like each other.  Oh well, God obviously has a better plan for both of them.  I'm not bitter about them not being together.  It's actually best this way. I'm in love with Batman! There's so many different reasons to as why I love him.  He's a superhero without any actual super powers! That's kind of a big deal!   
    If you had to ask me who my biggest inspiration in life was, I would tell you my Grandpa Mike.  My Grandpa Mike IS my best friend.  I go to him for absolutely everything.  He's a six foot three man with a heart of pure gold.  He has always encouraged me to do my absolute best.  He has never once discouraged me.  He has always pushed for me to improve whether that was in softball or school. 
    I've always struggled with losing people close to me. "See You When I See You" by Jason Aldean has always spoke to me.  It's telling me that I will see those people I've lost in life sooner rather than later.  I know with losing Jager, I felt like my whole entire world ended, or when Jacob passed, I felt as if everything was just going to extremely different.  But, in reality, nothing is as different as it seemed it was going to be. Yes, things are very much different but not like you would expect them to be.  We all have different ways of coping with these losses.  I know I've turned to my love for life.  I treasure life more now than I ever have before.  You learn life is short, some people's lives are shorter than others.
    My favorites are very me, I guess you could say.  My favorite color is purple. My favorite baseball team is clearly the Chicago Cubs.  I love LSU.  Tigers are the best animal around.  The Boston Celtics are the bomb.com.  The Carolina Panthers may be absolutely terrible on the field but they rock in my heart.  "Remember the Titans" is by far my favorite movie ever.  I'm completely and totally in love with Nickelback.   "I Knew You Were Trouble" by T-Swizzle just screams I know your life better than you do. 
   In high school, I've participated in softball and wrestling.  I played varsity all four years in softball.  I'm going to miss all the friends I made.  I wish the best for the team in the future.  But most of all I'm going to miss all the good times I had with my two best friends, Jordyn and Hannah.  I am in currently in my fourth year as the varsity stats girl for the wrestling team.  I'm love this job more than anything.  I love getting to know our boys.  They all have such unique personalities but have such similar qualities at the exact same time.  It's bittersweet knowing this year is my last year with my boys.  Yes, they are my boys.  I've been with them since freshman year.  Through their ups and downs.  I'm going to miss every single one of them. They have taught me so much in a way and I appreciate them more than anything for that. 
      I'm a really outgoing person.  I can be shy but otherwise once I get to know you I have no problem talking to you.  I'm not afraid to make friends but I hate losing good friends I've had for a really long time.  I'm very protective over those I care about it.  I would do anything for them.  I hate to see them mad or sad.  I want my friends to be happy in a great atmosphere.  I will live my life being nothing but myself and that's all I have to say about that.

3 comments:

  1. Shelbie,

    I think it's cool that you plan to double major and that you want Spanish to be a part of that! To honor your grandmother is very noble. I also liked the random facts you have included about teams you like and your favorite colors...and the very hard life lessons you have had to learn at such a young age. You are brave...like Batman!

    Dr. English

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelbie,

    I love the way you talk about your parents being divorced. Abviously I have gone through this same change in my life and I agree with you that god has a better plan for each of my parents and that it is actually better for them to be apart. I liked that you did not look down upon your parents being divorced.

    Beth Morris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelbie,

    We are ovbiously best friends! Enough said. Just kidding :) We are like the same person in so many ways, this is probably why we have been best friends since elementary school and stayed friends even when i moved away for 5 years! I enjoyed reading your blog and what you had to say about life is so TRUE! Remember to always be yourself and i can't wait until we are both in college and go our separate ways, to have those memories to share with each other!

    Jordyn VanWormer

    ReplyDelete